In order to meet the University of California residency requirements, graduate students must be in an eligible immigration status and satisfy the “Physical Presence” and “Intent to Remain in California” requirements by the residence determination date, which is the first day of instruction.

If you are a continuing nonresident graduate student and wish to apply for a resident classification for an ensuing term, you must submit a Statement of Legal Residence (SLR) by that semester’s deadline.

For a list of documents our office may request from you and your parents, you can visit the Forms web page and look at the documents located under Residency


Please note: While the documents listed under the Residency section of the Forms page are likely to meet the needs of a majority of students who are petitioning, please be advised that additional documentation may still be necessary in some cases (e.g. immigration documentation, financial independence documentation, etc.).